The WSU Retiree Center
is offering another opportunity to see a fantastic musical in the Twin Cities. On Thursday, May 19th
we will be heading to the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis
to see a matinee performance of Moulin Rouge
! The Musical. We have secured great main-level seats for the show. Here’s a little information about the play:
- Baz Luhrmann’s revolutionary film comes to life onstage, remixed in a new musical mash-up extravaganza with eye-popping excess, of glitz, grandeur, and glory.
- Bringing Moulin Rouge! The Musical to the stage was a decade-long journey, spanning 3 continents, encompassing 70 songs credited to 160 songwriters, administered by 30 publishers, representing over 160 years of music.
- Follows Moulin Rouge performer Satine and American Christian, as they navigate through a tumultuous love affair.
- Winner of 10 Tony Awards including Best Musical, it is a theatrical celebration of Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and – above all – Love.
- Please see the Moulin Rouge! Website for more information: https://moulinrougemusical.com/new-york/home/
- Recommended for ages 12 and up | Run time is 2 hours 35 minutes
Before the play begins at 1:00 p.m., we will eat lunch at 11:15 a.m. as a group at the Rock Bottom Brewery (cost of lunch is included in the price of the trip)
. The Rock Bottom Brewery is conveniently located just across the street from the Orpheum on Hennepin Avenue. We will have a private room that overlooks the Orpheum and will have three menu options:
- FISH & CHIPS beer-battered cod served golden brown with waffle fries, coleslaw and house-made Cajun remoulade
- GRILLED CHICKEN SANDWICH grilled chicken with avocado, swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato & ranch dressing, served with waffle fries
- VEGGIE MAC AND CHEESE (Vegetarian option) Blackened peppers and onions, mushrooms, Roma tomatoes. Topped with parmesan and house-made garlic breadcrumbs
- DESSERT – CARROT CAKE: Made from scratch carrot cake loaded with house-made cream cheese frosting
Dinner includes unlimited coffee, tea, and fountain soda. We will also have access to a cash bar, which includes Rock Bottom’s handcrafted ales and lagers (not included in the price of the trip).
Here is our itinerary:
8:45am – Board bus at Phillips Bus Company parking lot (12th and Main)
11:00am – Arrive in Minneapolis
11:15am – Lunch at Rock Bottom Brewery
1:00pm – Showtime (plan to arrive by 12:30pm to find your seats)
3:45pm - Board the bus for Winona
6:00pm – Arrive at the Phillips Bus Company parking lot
The cost of the trip is $150/person and includes your ticket to the play, dinner at Rock Bottom Brewery (not including alcoholic beverages), the bus ride (including snacks and water) and tip for the bus driver.
Remember, you do not need to be a WSU retiree to go on this trip. The trip is open to everyone! I hope you can join us!
We will be taking any and all COVID-19 safety precautions that are in place at the time of the trip. Please see the current COVID policy at the Orpheum Theater: https://hennepintheatretrust.org/scheduling-safety-update/
RETIREE CENTER DAY TRIP CANCELLATION AND REFUND POLICY:
If a day trip must be canceled due to insufficient enrollment, inclement weather, or emergency circumstances, you will be notified as soon as possible and receive a full refund. You may cancel your registration and receive a full refund if we receive your withdrawal and refund request in writing, via email, mail or in person, at least five full business days before the date of the trip.