Nursing Assistant Test - Winona
The two parts of the Minnesota Nurse Aide Competency Evaluation, the Knowledge Test and the Manual Skills Test, will be administered on the same day. Candidates must pass both parts in order to receive a certificate and be listed on the Minnesota Nurse Aide Registry.
The Knowledge Test is an online test which consists of seventy (70) multiple-choice questions in English. Candidates will have a maximum of 60 minutes to complete the test. An Oral/Audio test option is also available, which you must select in your profile in the testing system. See instructions below.
Selecting the Oral/Audio Option
Students must have access to the Headmaster TestMaster Universe (TMU) website in order to test: https://mn.tmutest.com. If you went through a training program, verify with your training site that your training program is entered and completed in TMU so that you can log in. If you are challenge/test-out candidate, please indicate this when you register and you will be set up with a TMU login. If you aren't sure whether you have access to TMU, try Forgot Password.
Scheduling an Exam
After you have registered for the Knowledge Test through MSC Southeast, we will then schedule you into the test event in the TMU website. Once you are scheduled into the test event, you will receive an email notification (and text if you listed a text capable phone number in your TMU record) confirming your exam date and time. You can always see your test date and time online at the Minnesota TMU webpage, https://mn.tmutest.com, using your Email or Username and Password. If you are unable to sign in with your email, please call Headmaster for assistance at (800) 393-8664.
- After completing your registration here, log in to https://mn.tmutest.com.
- If you aren't sure whether you have access, try Forgot Password.
- If that doesn't work, verify with your training program site that they have entered you into TMU OR if you're a challenger, contact us at email@example.com to enter you in the system.
- Click "Your Profile" in TMU
- Locate Testing Preferences
- Select the "Enable Audio Testing" checkbox
- Save Changes
- The above must be completed before we schedule you into the test event in TMU. You will then see "Audio Test" next to your name in the test event in TMU.
- If for any reason you did not enable this option prior to being scheduled into a test event in TMU, email firstname.lastname@example.org so we can work with you to resolve the issue.
During the Manual Skills Test you will demonstrate a set of randomly selected nurse aide skill tasks for an RN Test Observer. You will find a complete list of skill tasks in the candidate handbook. You will have a maximum of thirty (30) minutes to complete these tasks.
The candidate handbook is available on Headmaster's Minnesota Webpage (click on the link in the upper left-hand side).
You have three (3) attempts to pass the knowledge and skill test portions of the exam within 24 months from your date of nurse aide training program completion. If you do not complete testing within 24 months from completion of training, you must complete a new Minnesota Department of Health approved training program in order to become eligible to further attempt Minnesota NA examinations.
Full test - $235
Skills retake - $195
Written retake – $130
*Pre-registration is required.
- Please arrive 20-30 minutes early to check-in
- Late arrivals will not be allowed to test and will not receive a refund.
- No walk-in registrations will be accepted: you must register and pay for the exam in advance of the scheduled exam date.
- You must BRING ONE FORM OF IDENTIFICATION that meets the following MANDATORY requirements: US GOVERNMENT ISSUED, NON-EXPIRED, SIGNED, PHOTO-BEARING ID. Examples are*:
- Driver’s License
- State Identification Card
- US Passport
- Work Authorization Card
- Alien Registration Card
- Military or Tribal IDs (that meet all requirements).
- *EXCEPTION: If you do not have a current, official US government issued identification form, then you must bring TWO (2) forms of CURRENT (not expired) Official, Signature Bearing identification with matching names on both ID's. One of the two forms must be PHOTO-BEARING (photo copies will not be accepted). Examples of proper identification, with matching names, include CURRENT ( non-expired):
- School ID card with Photograph
- signed Voter Registration Card
- signed Credit/Debit (Bank) Card
- signed Social Security Card
- TESTING ATTIRE: Full scrubs and closed-toed shoes. Please refer to the Candidate Handbook on the Minnesota webpage at www.hdmaster.com for a list of other testing attire requirements regarding fingernails, jewelry, tattoos, piercings, etc.
- ELECTRONIC DEVICES: any electronic device of any type is not allowed to be on or near you in the knowledge or skill testing rooms. Examples: cell phones, smart watches, activity trackers, tablets, etc. You may bring a basic watch with a second hand.
- IF YOU ARE LATE, DO NOT BRING REQUIRED MANDATORY ID, OR YOU ARE NOT IN MANDATORY TESTING ATTIRE (refer to the Candidate Handbook) YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO TEST AND YOU WILL BE CONSIDERED A "NO-SHOW". No shows forfeit their testing fees and must repay to reapply for another test date.
- IF YOU CANNOT TEST FOR ANY REASON NOTIFY MSC Southeast by email at: email@example.com.
- IF YOU NEED TO RESCHEDULE YOUR TEST DATE, YOU MUST RESCHEDULE AT LEAST 3 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO YOUR TEST DATE by emailing or calling MSC Southeast at firstname.lastname@example.org or 507-453-2740.
- ADA accommodation requests must be submitted with required documentation and approved at least 14 days advance of your test date. Refer to the Candidate Handbook for ADA information.
- You may not test if you have any type of temporary physical limitation that would prevent you from performing duties as a CNA (casts, crutches, etc.) or if you have a contagious illness.
- If you have been on "Light Duty" at work you will not be allowed to test without a Doctor's Release.
- You are welcome to use your electronic devices, study materials, snack or drink while in the waiting area. These items are not allowed to be on or near you while in the testing rooms. You will be informed where to place these items when in the testing rooms.
- The testing site and testing teams are not responsible for your personal belongings.
- If you are unable to access your account, go to https://mn.tmutest.com, click Forgot Password and enter your Email. If you need further assistance, please call D&SDT-Headmaster at 888-401-0462.