Developed by expert nurses with decades of teaching experience, Allied Dental Clinical Sedation is one of the only intravenous sedation certification trainings approved by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry.
This one-of-a-kind training course includes an online introductory unit (6 hours) paired with a single weekend of hands-on training (14 hours) to provide dental hygienists and dental assistants with the skills necessary to initiate, maintain, monitor and remove intravenous (IV) lines, and/or aid in administration of medications into an existing IV line under the supervision of a dentist with sedation/general anesthesia certification.
The hands-on part of this training will be held in person at the South Central College - North Mankato campus, following safety protocols in accordance with Minnesota State mandates and the South Central College COVID-19 safety plan.
- Anatomy and physiology review pertinent for dental clinical sedation
- Airway management
- Cardiac monitoring application and interpretation
- Infection prevention
- Intravenous fluid and medication review specific to dental sedation
- Moderate sedation guidelines and pharmacology
- Preparation for emergency sedation situations
- Simulated and human IV insertions
- Practice on manikins first followed with 2 successful live (human) IV insertions
- Must be licensed Dental Hygienist or Dental Assistant
- Must have current Health Care Provider CPR certification
- Must be nitrous oxide certified