This three-day, hands-on course serves as an introduction to Modern Band and the Music as a Second Language pedagogy and will address:
- Core values of Music as a Second Language: Approximation, Scaffolding, Musical Decision Making, Iconic Notation, and Culturally Sustaining teaching technique
- Teaching popular music through the authentic practices of popular musicians.
- Instruction on guitar, keyboard, drums, vocals, bass, and ukulele.
- Various approached to musical notation.
- Grounding Modern Band in Create-Perform-Respond standards.
Participants will also use their new musical skills to arrange a song for a final performance.