Successful frontline nurse leaders play a vital role in today’s highly complex ever changing health care world. For this success, nurse leaders necessitate leadership and management skills to positively impact unit operations and patient outcomes. This course is an evidenced based educational program that offers essential leadership and management skills to prepare frontline nurse leaders to be effective in their role.
Virtual instructor led course with group discussions and interactive activities through the use of break out rooms and a live chat box.
Learning Outcomes Within Three Sections of Course
Self-Assessment and Leadership Essentials
- Understand various leadership styles
- Develop insight into his or her individual leadership strengths and weaknesses
- Identify essential leadership characteristics
- Describe components of emotional intelligence, which promote the development of productive work teams
- Recognize the need to create a work environment in which both organizational and individual needs can be met
- Develop strategies for creating a motivating work environment
Leading the Department
- Identify components of effective collaboration
- Describe the correlation between communication and team building
- Demonstrate Flexibility, Compassion and Empathy while working with others
- Select appropriate conflict resolution strategies to solve various conflict situations
About the Instructor
Hi! I am Dr. Shandell Ferguson, RN and I have over 15 years of leadership experience in various healthcare organizations and settings. My experiences include Cardiac and Medical ICU, Administrative Nursing Supervisor, Professor and Clinical Nurse Educator. I have designed this evidenced based course to help frontline nurses grow in becoming effective leaders. I look forward to working with you and watching you grow!
- Effectively be able to critically think, prioritize and delegate patient assignments
- Understand the importance of nursing sensitive indicators in outcome measures
- Understand basic budget concepts including productivity
- Empower others to participate in continuous quality improvement efforts and understand concepts of patient safety
Participants will receive a Certificate of Completion and 8 contact hours of continuing education.